Healthy eyes are an important part of your overall health. That’s why BCBS FEP VisionSM can help families of active duty and retired uniformed service members get started with these six simple habits for lifelong vision health.
1. Avoid damaging blue light
The most damaging light for your eyes is blue light. It has the shortest wavelength and carries the most amount of energy. Sunlight is the biggest source of blue light, but digital screens are a close second.
2. Wear sunglasses
Sunscreen isn’t just for your skin—your eyes can burn too. Which is why it’s important to wear shades that block both UVA and UVB rays. Long-term exposure can have permanent effects like cataracts and irreversible retina damage.
3. Eat your reds, yellows and greens
Carotenoids are pigments that give fruits and vegetables their vibrant red, orange, yellow and green color. And because they are on the opposite spectrum of the color wheel, they can help protect your eyes from blue light.
4. Rest your eyes
If you’re like many Americans who use a computer at work every day, be sure to give your eyes some time away from the screen. Reduce eye strain by taking a 15-minute break for every two hours in front of a computer.
5. Get regular eye exams
Everyone in your family should have their eyes checked at least once a year. This includes getting a new prescription for glasses or contact lenses.
6. Choose the right vision plan
Making sure you have the right vision plan is important, too. BCBS FEP Vision offers the quality vision coverage you need. This includes:
- No copays for comprehensive eye exams
- Access to over 96,000 nationwide providers, including Visionworks, LensCrafters, Costco, Walmart, Sam’s Club and starting January 1, 2021, Target Optical and Pearle Vision
- Coverage accepted at online retailers, including glasses.com, 1800contacts.com, visionworks.com and befitting.com
- Extensive fully covered frame collection or generous frame allowance
- Lens options at no or lowest member cost
- Benefits that work overseas
- Exclusive health and wellness discounts through Blue365®
With Open Season running November 9 through midnight December 14, 2020, Eastern time, now’s the perfect time to see what BCBS FEP Vision can do for you and your family.
To learn more, visit: https://www.fepblue.org/vision-enjoy-the-viewRead comments