COVID note: Uchee Creek Campground and Marina follows all guidelines set forth by Fort Benning. Guests are required to follow General Orders at the time of their stay. Updated guidelines can be found here: https://www.benning.army.mil/index.html
Uchee Creek Campground and Marina in Fort Benning, Georgia is a 385-acre park full of outdoor adventures for military families. It’s a space where locals can come to get away, for travelers to step out of the bustle of the city, and to help families transition or wait for housing during their recent PCS.
Whether stationed at Fort Benning or just traveling through, Uchee Creek Campground and Marina is an ideal spot to get in touch with nature and enjoy the great outdoors. Amenities are available to military service members, dependents, and military ID holders.
Uchee Creek and Marina Manager Michael Foy, said, “We’re here for the military community to get away from the base and get outdoors. It’s for troops and their families to enjoy — the openness and space, the trails. When it’s not hunting season you can walk anywhere.”
Foy, a retired Navy chief petty officer, came to manage Uchee Creek Campground and Marina in January of 2020, after working for MWR for more than 14 years in Monterey, California.
“We have many new projects going on — we’re constantly improving to make things better, Foy said. “We have things for all ages and all budgets.”
Read: Fort Benning area guide
While Foy said that COVID has brought its challenges, Uchee Creek has also been a great getaway for folks during the pandemic, allowing people to get outside while still distancing from others.
He and a staff of 19 employees work year-round to maintain and improve the campground and its amenities.
Uchee Creek Campground and Marina perks and activities
Visitors can bring their RV and park at one of the paved spots, bring a tent for a more primitive experience, or book a cabin or chalet. Cabins are available in various sizes, sleeping up to eight adults. Larger parties can rent chalets, which are large river homes that come with plenty of perks. The executive chalet includes a master suite plus two bedrooms, a balcony porch, and a wood-burning fireplace.
All cabins and chalets include fully-equipped kitchens and outdoor grills so visitors can cook throughout their stay.
Uchee Creek Campground and Marina visitors have access to additional park features as well, including:
- Boats- Take the family out on the water with daily boat rentals available at the Marina. Guests can rent fishing boats, pontoons, or kayaks. Or launch your own boat for $5.
- Country Store- Uchee Creek Campground and Marina has an on-site store where guests can buy firewood, fuel and propane, snacks, and more.
- Fishing- Dock fishing is a main attraction along Uchee Creek.
- Three heated/cooled comfort stations- Guest stops with indoor plumbing, including showers, and laundry. Great for tent campers or cabin guests who need an extra bathroom.
- Outdoor pool and splash pad- Warm weather in the South means the need to cool off. Bring your party to the pool! An optional rental space nearby is available, free of charge, to guests. Camper’s Cove can be rented at the main office.
- Two parks; one dog park- Let the kids run and play at two separate park facilities. There’s also a large fenced-in area for pets to roam free.
- Basketball court, baseball field, and volleyball court- Choose the sport you desire and play the day away at these open facilities.
- Walking and biking trails- Guests can ride, walk, or run through the campgrounds on many open paths. Adult trikes are also available for rent.
- Rental facilities- Uchee Creek Campground and Marina guests can reserve various spaces for private parties or gatherings. This includes:
- Three separate outdoor pavilions
- Activity Center with a full kitchen
- Campers Cove, an indoor space near the pool that is free for guests to use during their stay; reservations required.
Additional rentals through the Fort Benning MWR include tents, campers, canoes, bikes, and sporting equipment.
Uchee Creek Campground and Marina rental rates
Tent camping- 14X14 spots; $10 per night
RV Spots- 96 spots: $30+ per night
Cabins- 55 cabins available for rent: $80-$100 per night
Chalets- $130-$150 per night
Weekly and monthly rates available for long-term stays.
Annual events at Uchee Creek Campground and Marina
Uchee Creek Campground and Marina is also host to annual events, including Oktoberfest and an archery shoot. Additional events are regularly scheduled by MWR including fishing tournaments or private events like bike races or parties.
“Come across the river to Alabama — the atmosphere is nice,” Foy said. “There’s deer and other animals running around; you can jump on a boat. It’s something that helps people detoxify a little bit and relax.”